Wednesday 30 October 2013

Contemplating Her World

It is a wonderful experience to behold my daughter interact with her world. Today, I walked in on her intently watching the dog eat one of her stuffed bears. Usually, she gets rather upset and takes every opportunity to tell him that he is bad. They have quite the love-hate relationship. But, she very closely observed for a bit as he pulled stuffing from the nose. Then she nicely grabbed him his toy and made an exchange, saying, "This one, buddy."

She has been a little more contemplative recently. More observant. Sometimes quieter. The last few times we were in the truck she was very silent and gazed out on the road. One trip saying nothing at all. The next, briefly pointing out a train and telling me to stop at the light. Usually, she is non-stop. On the way home today she sat quietly in her seat while I fueled up the truck, giving me a little wave.

I asked her what she did today, to try to get some conversation. She told me clouds, spiders, and... um... cupcakes. I love to ask her about her day. She matter-of-a-fact announces a list, with a few ums here and there. Often she will revert to the latest exciting memory. She always declares that it was today. Every day she tells me she went to the pumpkin patch and went on a train today. She really wants to go again.

Another thing that has changed is her ability to play alone. Maybe it is because of my jaw surgery and the bruising on my neck. She seems to be okay with dancing alone instead of always needing me to dance with her. She'll read in her room with the door closed and ask me to leave if I come in. I seriously did not expect that before two! My little girl is becoming independent!

She even went to the neighbors to play without me. A dog had ripped open a garbage and as I cleaned it up she went and played ponies. She didn't ask me to follow. She just left me with my task. And she wasn't happy to be asked to return, either. "Play ponies later. Later!"

Soon, she'll be walking the dogs alone. Having a sleep over. Getting her own snack. It's crazy how helpless she was just yesterday. Time is passing too fast. I plan to enjoy every interaction with my amazing little monkey. Her curiosity is intriguing. Her compassion is adorable. The way most of her play revolves around singing lullabies and putting her dolls to sleep is so sweet. Her love for the outdoors is refreshing. 

I'm excited for our future conversations. Her upcoming revelations. The adventures we have on the horizons. What an amazing blessing to be her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment