Monday 17 June 2013

"Tent, Mommy!!"

On Friday we will be camping outdoors while we attend my Tough Mudder event (it is finally here!). It is the cheapest option in such a tourist driven ski town. I wont be contributing to the tourist dollar coming in that weekend. Tonight I made an impromptu decision to do a test run in our back yard. My husband gladly complied. In so many ways I am glad we did.

As we set up the bed in the tent our daughter became so excited, exclaiming, "Sleep! Sleep!" When we went in the house to clean up she was upset and repeated over and over and over (and over-- you're not quite imagining the extent of it), "Ready, ready, ready!" I wanted to bathe her but she was adamant about going to the tent and tried to get her point across louder and louder. Nothing else was happening!!

I wasn't quite ready so dad took her first and read her some books. (Well, actually only one. She is stuck on a Christmas book about the birth of Jesus and wants that one repeatedly. "Again! Again!" At least it's a story, unlike her last fixation which was an I SPY book which I had to jazz up with a few songs that went with the images.) In her elation at finally being out there she kept asking for mom until they finally came in and fetched me.

Even though all she wanted was night night and sleep, it wasn't on her mind once we were in the tent. She became full of delightful adrenaline and wanted to jump and climb and tickle. When she started to tire she stared in awe at the sound of the rain drops. Her gorgeous eyes were open so wide. We sang her rain song a few times.
If all the rain drops were lemon drops and gum drops
Oh what a rain it would be
Standing outside with our mouths open wide
Going, "Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah" (her favourite part)
If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops
Oh what a rain it would be

It was a perfect night for a test run. Pouring rain. Flashing lightning. Rumbling thunder. Her eyes remained staring until ten o'clock at night. Now we are prepared for any whether come Friday night. I found the sound quite soothing. It reminds me of the time we hiked four hours up to camp on a mountain top and there was a storm.

Friday I will most definitely need an adequate sleep. The next day I'll be running ten miles with climbing and jumping and crawling and hiking and who knows what else. Hopefully my mind won't be too excited to sleep, just like my daughter's tonight. To ensure my optimal rest I need my daughter who will be next to me to have a good sleep. I would be the one awake with her, as her dad fell asleep before she did. But he even said, he gets his best sleeps camping.

Quarter after ten there is finally not a sound in our little cozy bed. Just the rain drops spattering the canvas. I almost don't want to go to sleep. It is so serene. I brought a book. But silly me forgot a flashlight. (Ha ha! I'll be more prepared for the weekend, won't I?) I might just close my eyes and pray and think until I drift off. Give thanks for opportunities, health, my family, fresh air. And that annoying drip that has developed from the corner of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment