Thursday 15 August 2013

Late Night Dog Run

I just had an amazing late night run with both my dogs. We ran on a dark path so that they could be off leash. We saw three people and one dog and my crew didn't get startled or overprotective. I only jumped at inanimate objects a few times. Though if I wasn't with two large dogs I know it would be many more times.

I am finding running two bigger dogs with a toddler more complicated than I thought it would be. I don't regret it. I know that my toddler will have to see our older dog pass and so I wanted the younger around. My girl has bonded with her new friend very well. He is obviously her favorite. Though she also gets more frustrated with him. Yes, he does knock her over. But she will get quite upset when all he did was brush past.

A large dog can't stay cooped up. So I need to get them some exercise. They behave much better when they have had activity. Sometimes they run behind the truck. Many mornings the whole family walks them together. For additional times I often have them take turns. They are much easier to handle one at a time. The other day I brought Buddy home from a get-him-socialized outing and upon our return the older girl got quite mad at him for getting to go while she stayed home. His reaction, on the other hand, to being the one left at home is to not let me out of his sight. He doesn't want me to sneak away.

It is a nice training opportunity when occasion lets me take both canines together. As my daughter slept at home this evening, I took them for a 7 kilometer run. It was refreshing, though I now see the extensive difference in the pace between the two. The old girl had trouble keeping up. It makes me wonder if I should push to keep her healthy or just let her go. I wish I could do the same every evening. But then I would be quite tired. Too many things get left for the end of the day. It is now midnight and I have some oatmeal precooked and I am ready for bed.

But the dogs will not be sleeping in the bedroom tonight. They are still panting loudly. Being drenched in sweat may not always be convenient but I am quite grateful that I don't cool off through my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment