Friday 31 May 2013

Stop soliciting?

It happens more and more. An inconvenient knock at your door. A nagging phone call. A poignant appeal on television. A pitiful add on the computer screen. A puppy-dog-face request from a friend's child. They all want your money. They all want you to support their cause.

I hate canvassing. I hate asking people to donate. But I believe it has to be done so every year I flip back and forth between wanting to continue to volunteer for the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay For Life or let it go. Who wants to hear me ask for money or prizes any more?

But what if I didn't? Someone else would. But what if they didn't? What if many communities decided they were tired and wanted to move onto something else? What if the money stopped coming from donations?

According to The Canadian Cancer Society, in 2012 they invested $46 million in 336 research projects. As well, $71 million helped meet the needs of people living with cancer and their caregivers, and $9 million went to advocating for important cancer issues. That is a lot of money!!

In 2001 a new medication was approved to treat Chronic Myelogenous Leukaemia. This pill stopped the need for radiation and harsh chemo for many people (though its side effects can be harsh). It increased the life span from only 3-6 years to 68% of people still alive after 10 years (After Gleevec: In Search Of The Next Wonder Drug). That is pretty substantial to me. Three years after diagnoses I got married. Six years later was when I started trying to have a baby. Next year will be my ten years. And I am going strong. Healthier than I have ever been. More athletic than I have ever been. Competing in a 10 mile obstacle course challenge next month. All possible because of that miraculous pill.

And that pill was made possible because of research. Discovering what was present in my cancer cells that was different and then looking for what would stop the reaction. Research that was funded in great majority by cancer societies. Cancer societies that get money from us.

Every time I go to the Cancer Center I see volunteers and the Society at work. Every morning when I take my pill I am grateful for the people who brought it about. Someone's generosity has given me life.

Someone's generosity will fund Grad for a youth that would otherwise not be able to afford to participate.

Someone's generosity will fund more up to date equipment for the hospital.

Someone's generosity will fund different clubs for children.

Someone's generosity will fund renovations needed to help update a home for the disabled.

Someone's generosity will provide food and necessities to the poor.

Someone's generosity will help a million different things. Which means many different groups need to put in the time and effort to raise funds. Which means you will get asked.

You can't contribute to everything. But philanthropy is required in this world. Something touches your heart. For me, my motivation is the fact that I am alive and since being diagnosed have attended two funerals for loved ones who died from leukaemia. A wake up call reminding me that even though I hate the appointments and the side effects, I am truly blessed. And I hope to help pass that on.

What legacy will you be part of?

No comments:

Post a Comment