Sunday 21 July 2013

Summer Exercise

It was so sweltering out today. Going to the market this morning I was already overtaken by the temperature. My daughter was drenched in sweat when she woke from her nap. Considering the temperature, I decided that instead of doing my regular work out routine I would just do my upper body. I didn't want to get all sweaty. My idea was great. I made it through the day without overheating. (I could overheat on a run at only 5 degrees Celsius.)

But now it's 11:30 at night and I can't sleep. It appears my focused exercises worked out my upper limbs particularly well. And now they ache from the back of my shoulder blades down every muscle in my arms to the tip of my fingers. So here I sit, stretching and massaging and hoping soon I will relax enough to sleep.

On a quintessential, nothing extra pressing day it can be difficult to put keeping fit on the top of the list. Or even anywhere on the list. Done are the days of baby contently sleeping, or at least just relaxing, while I run, lulled by the continuous rocking. My inquisitive daughter wants out of the running stroller to explore. I have to appease her with treasures like flowers and pine cones. Done are the days of setting the yoga mat next to her as she plays. Now she wants me to only do moves that provide her with a bridge to go under. "Under the bridge! Under the bridge!" (Today we went over a bridge in the car and she repeated over and over that she loved the bridge.)

Add in hot weather and it makes running less appealing and my usual work out area, my living room, quite unbearable. Hot yoga, anyone? The heat makes it harder to push through the other excuses not to just do it. The housework, the need for sleep, the possibility of adventures, the longing for relaxing me time like taking a bath or reading a book.

And to think, I had never made this much time for taking care of myself before having a busy baby. Sure, I ran. But I was a 20 minute, three or four times a week kind of girl. And inconsistently at that. I'd done bouts of routines here and there. Before a trip to Mexico or before a stage appearance. But now I am devoted. Hopefully.

I want to be able to keep up with my girl so I will stick to it. I want to be able to keep picking her up. She's getting pretty heavy to carry around at 25 pounds. And her intense curiosity and love of being a part of doing what I am doing makes me want to continue. I want to enjoy a long, healthy life. I want to show her how to lead a healthy life.

Next up, I plan on doing a 10k in September. I am tempted to try a 21k. But I don't think I can get myself to train for that in the heat. I find that having an event to look forward to helps me push through and get the work out done when I don't really feel motivated. Maybe if I just sign up for the longer run I will have to do the runs. It might be a good idea as well because I want to still be fit by October as I am having surgery and want to improve my healing time.

It's going to be a hot week. I think I need to get myself to sleep earlier so that I can get out there bright and early when it is cooler in the morning.

Now it's after midnight. I intend to get up for a run before church. I should really go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment